Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sara's Relationship Deal Breakers

So, you meet the guy (or girl) of your dreams and think, "Wow, this person is perfect for me in every way." But maybe that's because your new fascination hasn't revealed some of his or her "unique" qualities yet. Before you start confessing your love or brainstorming baby names, maybe it would be a good idea to spend a little more time with your new partner before getting in too deep. Check out the shortened version of my relationship deal breaker list; these are the qualities in a partner that I simply cannot overlook!

He has a funky smell
I just can't be with someone whose smell I don't like. He doesn't even have to wear cologne, just as long as he doesn't always smell like garlic and onions.

He can't spell
Coming from someone with a journalism degree, when a guy can't spell simple words, it is just a turn off. It just dozn't make cents two me.

He has no creativity
I am a person who loves to dance, sing, play instruments, take photos and write. If you don't know how to take the lens cap off a camera or are tone deaf, then I'm sorry, we just weren't meant to be!

He doesn't take care of his health
I love being physically active and eating healthy foods (shout out to my fellow vegetarians!). I try to take care of my body on an every day basis. I want someone who is willing to go on walks/runs with me or play disc golf (check out my earlier blog!).  Although I don't mind if my partner is a meat eater or not, I do want him to be conscious of his diet. If my partner is not motivated to do these things, then we just won't work out.

He's not an animal lover
I love animals, especially dogs, so if my partner doesn't want a dog (or two or three) sleeping in the bed or licking his face, then that's a deal breaker!

Although the above qualities are important to me, the MOST important qualities I look for in a partner are: someone who is supportive, respectful, honest and someone I can see myself having a long, healthy, happy relationship with. I look for someone who will be by my side through thick and thin and someone who I can tell my most embarrassing secrets to.

These are the types of deal makers and deal breakers we need to teach our young people. We need to make sure we know what we want and don't want in a partner so we can help young people identify these qualities as well. It's not about who is the most popular girl or guy in school, whose family has the most money or who has the coolest car, it's about how we treat each other in relationships. We need to lead by example so our young people will make the right decisions when getting into relationships.

Anyone know a spelling bee champion who likes to sing, play disc golf and eat tofu, who naturally smells like Calvin Klein cologne and will treat me like gold?

by Sara Lamberson, Health Communications Graduate Assistant, SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment