Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Little Hammock Time Goes a Long Way

Now, let’s be honest.  No one has ever accused me of biting off more than I can chew.  I’m really not a “yes” person, and I’m unapologetic about doing my own thing.  Despite this, the past few months of my life have swirled together like a box melted crayons, all the vibrant colors muted in a pile of muddy brown.  My mind in a fog, many of my conversations have play out like this:

Co-worker: “How was your weekend?”
Me:  “Uh…hmm…what did I do yesterday?  I don’t really remember…  I think I left the house?”

or
Photo by: Meagan Jean Wooley 

Mom: “Alright, give me directions as I drive.”
Me:  “Okay, keep going and turn at the thing.”

In this example, “the thing” means street.  My mind is too lazy to recall the word for STREET! :( “Something’s gotta give,” I tell myself day after day.

As part of a book exchange here at the SC Campaign, I started reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.  After reading the first couple of chapters, my focus is already shifting, and I feel more at peace.  In an effort to relax this Sunday, I sat in my hammock and read in the cool, fall air.  It was the best decision I made all weekend!  The quiet time not only helped me relax yesterday, but it poured into the beginning of my work week.    

On my journey to live a more meaningful life at home and at work, I’m trying to prioritize quiet time just as much as washing the dishes, helping my stepson with homework and catching up on television shows.  I am my best wife/mother/daughter/friend when I am present, not distracted.  So if you see me walking around like a Zen priestess, you’ll know I’ve been keeping my promise to myself.  If you spot me dragging around my zombie limbs in a cloudy haze, remind me to take some hammock time – just a little goes a long way.

by Kemi Ogunji, Executive and Development Assistant, SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment