Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Joys of Being a Great Aunt

When you think of a great aunt, you probably think of a woman who is 85 years of age, has been married for 60 years, and loves to knit Christmas scarves.  You would never envision a great aunt being a 28 year old, Atlanta Falcons loving, Tory Burch-toting woman.  Well, SURPRISE!!!  I would like to introduce you to myself, Dr. India D. Rose, Project Manager at the SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, the world’s most fabulous great aunt.  Never in a million years did I envision becoming a great aunt, but the truth be told, that is exactly what I am.  On June 10, 2012 my 22-year-old niece gave birth to her first child, Paris Nicole!  Since her arrival, Paris has truly changed the dynamics of our family.  My siblings and I now have “great” added to our pre-existing title of aunt and uncle.  My mother has converted her name to GG (pronounced Double G), which is a better alternative than being called “Great Grandma.”



My life has changed tremendously since my great niece came into the world.  For starters, seeing my niece’s strength during her delivery and witnessing Paris Nicole enter this world is a memory that I will cherish forever.  Every chance I get to go home to Atlanta, I rush to see and spend time with my great niece.  We recently celebrated her first birthday and I am truly in awe of how quickly children grow.  It seems like it was yesterday when I was rubbing my niece’s belly, then heading to the hospital in the pouring rain at 6 o’clock in the morning because my niece’s water broke, to observing all of the preparation it takes to deliver a baby via water birth, to finally welcoming Paris home.  She is such an amazing little girl, and I am so proud to be her great aunt.  In fact, I am the proud aunt of 8 nieces and nephews, and I am super stoked to have a great niece to add to my collection.  I could go on for days about how this little lady has change my life, but to sum it all up, being a great aunt is GREAT!

By: Dr. India Rose, PhD, Project Manager, SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment