Wednesday, May 26, 2010

(Safe) Sex and the City

sex and the cityAs I impatiently await the release of Sex and the City 2 I can’t help but wonder what issues my favorite gals are going to tackle next. Last time there was the issue of Miranda’s nonexistent sex life, Carrie’s continuous emotional roller coaster with Big, and Samantha’s break up with Smith. The women of Sex and the City hold no punches when they dish about the men in their lives and their likes and dislikes when it comes to relationships. They share everything much like many of us do with our own gal pals, but I can’t help but notice that there is one very important aspect of sex that’s missing from the Sex and the City girl talk…safety.


Why does Samantha (the vixen) never mention her favorite brand of condoms during girl talk? Remember when Miranda got pregnant, that would’ve been the perfect opportunity to talk about being prepared. I’m guessing that the writers didn’t put that in because we are supposed to assume that these beautiful, successful women are smart enough to practice safe sex, but with the birth rate of young adults steadily increasing we’re seeing that this is not the case. All too often young women are talking about sex, but not mentioning the importance of being prepared. As a twenty-something myself I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked what EC is or where to get tested, and many times I’m asked these questions too late.

I admit that my last two years at the Campaign have given me a wealth of knowledge that I know I would not have had otherwise. It also has made me more comfortable discussing matters of sexual health with my friends. I’ve also learned that sexual health doesn’t begin and end when you’re a teenager. Young women have the same issues with assertiveness and insecurity that some teen girls face, which totally puts them at risk. I want all of my friends to have wonderful, happy and healthy relationships, which is why when we go out on May 27th for our cosmos and convo I’m going to make sure we talk Safe Sex in the City.

written by: Zenica Chatman
contact Zenica: zchatman@teenpregnancysc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment